We have developed a three-pronged program that enables youth at risk prepare for the labor market:
- Life Skillsis an inclusive preparation for adjustment to living a productive, normative life in society in which relations with other people, employment, self-discipline, and responsibility play a major part.
- Preparation for Employmentuses these life skills and directs residents to job seeking. The young adults are taught to write a resume, conduct a job search, and present themselves during an interview. Ongoing interpersonal communications workshops include coping with difficulties in a workplace environment, interview situations, and job situation simulations. These workshops are intended to assist the young adult gain skills that will not only get him/her a job, but help him/her maintain the job and succeed in it. Coaching and self-esteem workshops work on fears in the workplace and interpersonal relationships with co-workers and supervisors.
- Job trainingoffers a personal plan designed together with residents and includes education and employment training and assistance in finding work. Courses are offered by various institutions in different locations around the city. Selection varies depending on participant interest, funding, and availability.
Courses over the past few years have included:
- Basic Computer Skills
- Secretarial Training
- Pastry and Cooking, including an apprenticeship in well-known enterprises in Israel
- Small Business Development
- Car Mechanics
- Music Sound Systems